1 (1lb) eggplant, cut into slices
2-3 tomatoes, chopped (2 cups)
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 teaspoons capers
1-2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon EVOO
1-2 teaspoons dried oregano
salt and (freshly ground) pepper to taste
hot sauce to taste
1) Lightly brush both sides of eggplant with olive oil.
2) Roast or grill eggplant until tender (roast: 425 for 7-10 minutes each side; grill - 5 minutes each side). Cool and cut eggplant into chunks.
3) Combine eggplant, tomato and basil and any optional ingredients in a large bowl.
4) Combine dressing and optional ingredients into small bowl and whisk. When blended, add to large bowl and toss gently.
5) Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to settle and mix.
4) Sprinkle additional basil, feta or oregano on top when serving ( I do all of the above!!!). Serve as a main dish with some protein or with pita chips for a hearty snack..