I love spinach as the partner with ANYTHING! Rice, pasta, fish, meat - when cooked right they set anything else OFF! If you want to cook them with me, check out this episode of Grub and Groove!
2 tablespoons EVOO (extra virgin olive oil OR 1 tablespoon(s) butter or ghee (clarified butter) OR BETTER BUTTER = 1/2 of each
3-4 cloves of garlic (or more if you love garlic like me!), chopped + 1 clove reserved
1 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
Sriracha, hot/pepper sauce or jalapenos to taste
THE MAIN INGREDIENT:
1 large bunch (1-1.5) lbs of spinach, stemmed or 10 ounces frozen or bagged (if using fresh/bagged, reserve 1 handful)
1) Chop the garlic so that the flavor and nutrients can release.
2) If using fresh/bagged spinach, reserve a handful. (See video). Cut if desired.
3) Make the base.
- In a large saute pan, heat the EVOO, butter, ghee or BETTER BUTTER over medium high heat until garlic sizzles when dropped into the oil. Saute for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the seasonings: garlic, nutmeg, lemon juice and any optional ingredients
- Bring to a boil and taste. Add additional seasonings until base is to your liking.
4) Add spinach to the pan. If necessary, fill pot and allow batch to simmer down (1-2 minutes) so that you may add additional batches until all spinach have been added.
5) Cook uncovered for 2-3 minutes more on medium heat, stirring occasionally. Sample for taste and texture and continue to add seasonings and cook until to your liking, sampling every 2-3 minutes after that.